This weekend I made Miss G her floor length maxi dress made with the fabric she picked out at Joann earlier this summer. I used the Violette Fields Emmaline pattern also bought at Joann and we are both happy with the results! This photo was taken at dusk on the road near our home. I love this lighting, but it doesn’t really show off the colors of the fabric as much as the photos I took earlier in the day down at the beach.
Perfect out of the envelope. Her measurements matched the size 6 and it fits very well. Since she’s taller then the height for that age , I added an inch to the bottom bodice pieces.
Overall, well drafted. The directions have you cut your own rectangular pieces for the skirt. I like not having to cut out a big square when I could just as easily draw it right on the fabric. The directions also have you cut your own two inch wide bias strips for the armhole bindings and the neck strap. However, it doesn’t tell you how long to make them so you are left to figure that out for yourself. I also omitted the triple ruffle at the bottom and drafted my own ruffle that was double the width of the skirt.
These pattern instructions are designed for beginners. I often find these types of instructions for beginners to be overly wordy and complicated, making things that should be simple and straightforward seem really hard. Like, you don’t need to tell me that I need to leave my needle down and raise the presser foot when coming to a point three separate times in the instructions. It’s redundant. If I were a beginner, I would have been intimidated with these instructions, and after getting confused about how to sew the bias pieces to the v neck ruffled neckline, I gave up and went my own way. Also, the photos of the steps are using a light colored patterned dress up against a white background making it almost impossible to see the processes being explained. I prefer technical drawings to photos. Like those found in Japanese pattern books.
I also didn’t understand the instructions on sewing the bias seam to bind around the the V neck and had some trouble. I found this tutorial for sewing bias tape to a V neck which helped me figure it out.
The pattern itself is really good and we both love the details. Although I found the instructions overly complicated and confusing, I will still make this again as the fit is perfect and it was a simple sew. Plus, it was a huge hit at the school barbecue! I look forward to trying another Violette Fields pattern and may pick one up next time at Joann’s. They do have a larger selection of PDF’s in their online shop, but you probably know by now, I don’t fuss with PDF’s if I can get a printed pattern. Call me old fashioned.Happy sewing!