Last month, I learned a lot about fitting pattern sleeves and how to make button fly jeans. I had six successful projects and two failures.
Starting from the top left and going clockwise, these aren’t in chronological order. Just noticed that, lol!
- My first version of Kwik Sew 4069 was a flop. The fit was terrible in the armscye, so I made a few pattern changes for another version. The changes can be found here.
- McCall’s 6927. A disaster from start to finish. Bad fabric choice for the design itself, and so many fitting problems! I somehow managed to salvage this pattern and create a decent pattern. But not after wasting my vintage velvet. This project had me questioning myself and my abilities. Seriously.
- McCall’s 7501 in grey workout fabric from JoAnn. I LOVE this dress! But it is really form fitting. I could probably size up .
- Jalie Bella in crushed stretch velvet for Lily. This fits her so perfectly! I actually made this at Christmas time, but didn’t get around to blogging it until January.
- Stretch velvet maribou feather dress for Isabelle. I hacked the Renfrew pattern to make it. She loves it. I also made this the last week of December, as she wore it to London for New Year’s Eve.
- My first Pair of Ginger jeans. These really got my sewing mojo back!
- Another version of McCall’s 6927 with the redrafted armscye and sleeve. A big improvement.
- Another version of Kwik Sew 6927 in black ponte. The changes to the pattern were made and it fits much better now.
Wow! I actually made quite a lot this month! Not counting the two pieces from last month.
This month I have to do some really boring and time consuming home sewing projects. Today I almost finished my lined linen drapes in my bedroom, and yesterday I made some drapes for Gigi’s bedroom. After hanging up the lined drapes, I somehow hemmed them three inches too short. I thought I measured correctly, but obviously something went wrong. So I am writing this post instead, to avoid having to rip out 100 inches of linen hem and redo it.
I still need to make pillow shams and lined drapes for the living room. Hopefully, I can get the house clean enough to post photos soon. Not that you guys come here for home sewing, but that’s what I’m up to. I don’t know why I hate home sewing so much. I think I would rather even do the dishes. Or do alterations for other people.. Actually, nothing is that bad. Maybe I need a hypnotist to reprogram my mind.
I’m also planning on making a new tennis outfit for my tennis team. We’re supposed to wear royal blue, and the outfit I ordered online last season looks awful on me so I need to make a new one ASAP as I have matches coming up! Also, Pattern Review is having an activewear contest, and the winner gets a one hundred dollar gift certificate for Jalie patterns! I’m doubtful I’ll win, as I always seem to get booted out of their contests early, much to my disgruntled dismay. But hey, I love Jalie patterns so I’m cautiously hopeful, and will try again! There’s nothing like a little healthy competition to get my sewing butt in gear.
How about you, readers? Do you like home sewing , or would you rather wash dishes ?