Hi readers! Thanks for your nice comments on my last post. I was feeling disheartened about my sewing, and just needed some time off. Since then, I decided to revisit a maxi dress pattern I made a few years ago for Isabelle. McCall’s 6744. I didn’t like how it looked as a maxi dress so I chopped it off.
My thoughts about the excess volume in the skirt is that it becomes very heavy and the thin elastic at the waist isn’t enough to support the weight of the skirt properly. To remedy this situation , I will lengthen the bodice a few more inches, and then add a drawstring as well as the elastic. The drawstring will keep the skirt from pulling the bodice down, acting like a stay. And the longer bodice can blouse over the waist nicely. A short bodice is really unflattering on me.This is actually a muslin for another project I’m creating for the Pattern Review sewing bee, but I ended up making it into a wearable dress. I still have some changes to make to the pattern. The bodice is still too short for my liking. I used McCall’s 6744 as a base. I did have to redrape the front bodice on my form to fit better. There was gaping in the armholes and it was way too short. It still is. I originally made it into a maxi dress, but felt swallowed up by all the fabric excess in the skirt. I’m not too impressed with the design of the pattern. The top was way too wide and the skirt was, too. I like things relaxed but not tent like. I removed about 5 inches from the skirt but there was still too much fabric at the bottom of the skirt for my taste..The pattern said to turn under the seam allowances and stitch them under at the neck and arms, but instead I used a doubled binding which I then cut open to give a rolling look. I used my coverstitcher to do the hem. I still have trouble with it. It tends to skip stitches. It’s a Janome cpx 1000 and I would love to figure out why this happens. My dealer can’t figure it out.
I’ve had a few ready to wear tops with this finish. It looks like two layers of knit and has a raw edge.I bought this little bracelet yesterday at a fabric store downtown. It’s designed by Chan Luu. I love their jewelry designs.
I had some trouble getting the stripes to look right. Since the bodice had a bit of a curve and so did the skirt, the stripes didn’t meet perfectly in the middle. I think I’ll have to redraw the waist of both pieces to be straight if I sew this with stripes again. But I did a pretty good job matching the stripes on the sides! I’ll have to admit to often rushing ahead blindly with cutting and forgetting to match my stripes sometimes.
So there you have it. Another basic comfy everyday dress. Nothing too exciting, but I know I’ll wear it often!