It was about time I made myself a basic swimsuit. After making Gigi’s suit recently, I was in a bathing suit making mood.
This suit is wearable but it’s really a working muslin, since it needs some tweaks to the fit next time. I used an interesting panel print I found downtown and lined it with some purple powernet lining found down there on the same day.I used a pattern that’s been on the shelf awhile, too. Butterick 4526. I made the simplest view on the envelope.
My fabric total was about six dollars and the pattern was bought at a dollar pattern sale at Joann. The most expensive part were the foam breast cups, also bought at Joann, but with a coupon. I always use my coupon apps there. I buy my elastic in bulk downtown. I’ve had this same roll now for years. I need to check next time for cotton swimsuit elastic. I get the rolls at Golden cutting and supplies. Here is a link for bulk elastic, which seems to be more expensive on the website. Of course, it is. It was comfortable enough at the beach today, although I do have to admit the power net lining is a bit restrictive. I’m also feeling a little self conscious about my pattern placement!
The suit is well drafted. I chose it because it had options for a D cup shelf bra. I cut a size 12 with no adjustments except shortening the shoulder straps an inch. I also added foam cups to the shelf bra. And three inches to the pattern’s total torso length since making this version, adding 1.5 inches on both the front and back at the lengthen lines . I ignored the pattern’s complicated instructions for sewing the elastic as many who have made this pattern already had advised to. I recommend this Jalie video that shows very clearly how simple sewing swimsuit elastic sewing is. I made the suit entirely with my zig zag and stretch stitches. My serger made things too bulky on the last suit I made . This Closet Case Files video gives a good overview of sewing a shelf bra.It almost looks like there are two fabrics connected at the waist, but it’s just the unusual print design at work. The pattern also has bust darts to help contour the fit. I’ve never seen darts on modern suits. Another option for the dart could be to make a little gathering in the dart spot instead of sewing an actual dart. Lily’s Land End suit has gathers instead of darts that aren’t obvious .It was another beautiful day at Rincon, our favorite local beach near Carpinteria.