I’ve been working on Jessica from The Sewing Rabbitt’s new pattern, The Stepford Dress. It has a deep v neckline and I wanted to keep it from gaping, so I’m stabilizing the neckline with selvage strips to keep that from happening. It’s a really cute pattern,…. I’m making mine from a peacock print Liberty fabric. I”m going to Susan Khalje’s Couture Sewing School next week in Houston and I’m going to need a little summer dress to wear there. It’s going to be HOT there!
Since the V neckline is cut right along the bias grain of the fabric, it will have a tendency to stretch with time. There are two things I could do to prevent this from happening.
I could cut the bodice with the center front along the bias, which would cause the V neckline to be on the straight grain, thus eliminating the stretching over time problem
I could stabilize the v neckline along the stitch line. Stitching alone might not be enough to do the job, so I decided to cut some selvage strips off the edge of the fabric to use to stabilize this neckline.
I could use twill tape but I didn’t have any. Also, twill tape is a little too bulky and might effect the texture of this super delicate cotton voile. The selvage from my dress fabric is very stable, lightweight, and FREE!
First, I traced the seam line with my fabric pen. Then I cut about 1/4 inch of the selvage and pinned it along the seam line within the seam allowance. I pinned the selvage to the seam line easing the neckline into it making the neckline a tiny bit smaller this way. Then I stitched the selvage right along the seam line. But I had to make sure when I eased the neckline to the selvage that I didn’t create any puckers.
I did the same thing with the lining.
Check back later this week to see my finished Stepford Dress.
Sorry for my crummy nighttime photos but hey, when inspiration strikes, you have to go with it!
That should solve the gaping problem.